Viva Bien! Live Well with Diabetes!
A free, bilingual diabetes lifestyle education initiative presented by the SAFB Nutrition, Health & Wellness Division. The class is taught by Registered Dietitians, Ph.D. Nutritionist and Exercise Specialists.
Fourth Wednesday of Each Month
6:00p.m. – 7:30p.m.
Diabetes is a serious, life-long disease that can affect anyone. An estimated 1.7 million people in Texas age 18 and older have diabetes. (2009) An estimated 500,000 people in Texas have diabetes and don’t know it! Diabetes continues to be the 6th leading cause of death in Texas and the USA, however it is now the 4th leading cause of death in Bexar Country. The good news is that there is so much you can do to prevent or self-manage your diabetes. Studies have shown that eating a healthy diet and moving more every day can help reduce the risk of developing diabetes or serious complications later in life.
Whether you already have diabetes or want to prevent diabetes, our new FREE, BILINGUAL classes are just what you’ve been waiting for!
Benefits of Attending
- Learn how to take better care of your type-2 diabetes by making good choices.
- Learn how to prevent type-2 diabetes
- Hands-on cooking demonstrations
- Prepare and practice a variety of healthy recipes
- Work towards a healthier lifestyle
- Door prizes, free food samples!
A series of 8 free monthly classes, covering a variety of Nutrition, Healthy Cooking, and Exercise topics to better manage diabetes type-2 or prevent it. Each class is “stand along,” so you can come once to learn the basics or come as often as you like for new information—bring your spouse or other family members along!
Class Topics Include
- Counting carbohydrates
- Hands-on cooking lessons
- How to get more fiber in your meals: Whole grains, fruits & vegetables
- Portion control
- Choosing fats wisely
- Managing your salt & sugar intake
- Healthy shopping on a budget
- Importance of physical activity
- Practical ideas to move more each day
- Exercise demonstrations